Tuesday, February 27, 2007

58/365

Monday was a unique day in many ways. I obeyed an impulse to transcribe a poem in a card I sent to Alexandria. This task delayed my departure from the house; additionally, I chose to swing a bit out of my way to mail the card. These two choices caused me to be later to work than normal - by all of 5-10 minutes. I was still at my desk at least 20 minutes before I was supposed to be.

Why I choose to get to work 30 minutes early most days is another discussion.

The change in routine - and general tiredness - really threw me off. I left my office keys and ID tag in the car. I was able to follow a co-worker in the door, and chose to go back for the keys and ID after I had settled in a bit. Coffee was a necessity.

On my way to the coffee pot, Cyndia, a dear friend and co-worker, called me over. She had heard a rumor that someone in the Dean's Office (where I had previously worked) was seriously ill - on death's door. I promised to check with a source in the Dean's Office to verify the rumor.

I got my coffee, and decided to stop into the Dean's Office on my way back to my cube. Sarah confirmed the rumor, and also told me my former supervisor had broken her leg. Sarah asked me how my job was going, and I vented some frustrations.

"You know, there's a similar position in another department. I know they've asked someone back for a second interview, but you might call and see if the position is still open."

So, I called. Ironically, I had interviewed with this person when I was originally seeking a position on campus.

The interview was positive, though informal. In order to have a formal interview, I have to navigate the baffles & chambers of the campus Human Resources office.

Assuming I successfully navigate those waters; assuming I'm offered the position; assuming I accept -
Although the duties are essentially the same as my current position, the title would more accurately reflect my responsibilities. The new position is professional (which has pluses and minuses). The base pay would constitute a meaningful raise - a little over $400/month.

Any wonder I was excited by this possibility? Any wonder I spent the rest of the morning creating a brief CV from memory, and officially applying for the position on-line?

Any wonder I had trouble getting to sleep last night?