Wednesday, July 25, 2007

207/365 - Anglican Rosary

This is an Anglican Rosary, with a Celtic Cross. It was given to me by a friend. I thought this friend was mad with me. So, it surprised me when the friend offered it to me.

All the beads are polished stone. The cross appears to be silver.

The Anglican Rosary, unlike the Rosary used in the Roman Catholic tradition, does not have a prescribed set of prayers to say. There are a number of suggested ways to pray the Anglican Rosary, but there is no one "right" way.

I think of it as a "do-it-yourself" rosary prayer.

There are three large beads (called gauds) within the circle that are typically used for the three spiritual virtues (faith, hope, and love). Sometimes they are used to the sacraments.

Between each gaud is a set of seven smaller beads. Again, you may use any prayer you like on these beads. You could pray the Hail Mary. You could pray the Our Father. You could pray "Om Mani Padme Om". You could pray for the well-being of all creatures, especially those you are in conflict with.

My friend gave me these beads because he remembered I once led a program on the Roman Catholic Rosary. I thought he was mad with me, but maybe he never was. Or maybe he's forgiven me by now.

I avoid conflict, so I never asked him directly. I know he was hurt, and I know I did not intentionally inflict the hurt. But, with hindsight, I recognize that I might have felt hurt if I had been in his place. By e-mail, I asked for a visit; but I was never brave enough to ask face-to-face.

To be honest, I was upset with him as well. The whole story is complicated and muddy. It's not worth detailing. Besides, I'm trying my best to protect my friend's identity.

Though he never asked - and he probably never knew I was upset - I did forgive him. As I say, with hindsight I could understand what might have motivated him.

Let us say we both did the best we could with the information and skills we had.

My friend doesn't know it, but just the offer of this rosary felt like a shadow had been lifted. I truly was sad, soul sad, that I had hurt this friend.

Maybe my friend didn't mean this as a token of his forgiveness. It could mean many other things. But that is how I will hold it.

And I will pray that his life be blessed. That wholeness fill his body like a clear rushing stream. That all worries will be lifted. That his life be blessed. I will pray that we forgive, as we are forgiven.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am Japanese one of menber of Anglican communion. (I'm poor at English) Now, I'm making my church website. My church name is St. Barnabas' Anglican Church. I found your website then I search a photo of the Anglican Rosary for this one. May I use your photo of Anglican Rosary?