Monday, March 12, 2007

71/365

Katie responded to the picture I posted yesterday. "Yes, you do look very serious," she said, "You give the impression of being serious, y'know."

Her tone of voice suggested I needed to lighten up. At least, that's what I read into it.

Naturally, I've worried about that. I'm a worrier. I worry about whether I worry too much. I worry whether I wear the world as a loose garment. I take the most idle comment to heart and worry it like a puppy with an old dish towel.

So, I asked someone who's known me a little longer. Cheri has known me as a co-worker for a little over six years.

I do favors for Sherry. I know a bit more about computers than she, and have helped her navigate the cyber world several times. I've notarized several documents the past few weeks, having to do with a death in her family. I see these actions as what any caring human being would do for another. But Sherry sees them as favors.

So, maybe she's biased. But she said she doesn't see me as serious. "Reserved," she said, "but not overly serious."

And her tone of voice suggested this was just a part of who I am. No value judgment.

Yes, I'm reserved. I'm careful with my feelings - up to a point. Once I dive into a friendship or romance, I dive down all the way. I strip and give all the affection I have. But it takes a while to get to that point.

With yesterday's picture, I was consciously trying to create a companion to the picture I posted at Love During Wartime - right down to the bandanna. It took some effort to get the camera aimed at the right spot - I had four spoils. I set up a light to off-set the glare coming through the window behind me. I had ten seconds from the time I pressed the shutter on the camera to the time I sat and posed.

Smiling would have been gravy, on top of all that.

Actually, there is a picture I took Saturday where I believe I have a hint of a smile. I may post it toward the end of the week. I'll be interested how others perceive it.