Sunday, January 28, 2007

28/365


My fraternal grandfather, William (Bill) James C—. In the upper right-hand corner is the same toy guitar strapped on his guitar head. This 4" long plastic guitar was passed down to Padre, then came to me (by way of Aunt Merri).

I have no memory of Bill. I was introduced to him as a baby, but he died before I could form any significant memories. In addition to this toy, I also inherited his Epiphone guitar (by way of Brother Dave). His Epiphone was one of the first electric guitars to be manufactured (~1938), and he used it to lead music in his church (probably Nazarene).

I also have the sheet music for a song Grandpa Will wrote, "The Little Old Brush Arbor". One interesting thing about this music is that it is transcribed in shape note. With the help of a more learned musical friend, I have learned how to play this song and have often performed it.

I recently have taken to strapping objects to my guitar head, as a way of carrying on Grandpa Will's tradition and honoring him. The latest object is a "God's Eye", as pictured below.

No comments: